Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The New Pictorial Warnings Will Hopefully Dissuade Indian Smokers......Will They???

It is really heartening to know that close on the heels of World No Tobacco Day which is today, The Indian Central Government has issued a notification about new pictorial warnings which should compulsarily be printed on packages of both smoking and smokeless kinds of tobacco products. I hope that the notification which would take effect this December would dissuade Indian smokers from continuing their smoking habit. I also hope that once they are dissuaded, they would encourage others to quit too.

However, I am curious about one thing. I believe that the new rule may discourage the educated section of the public but what about the uneducated, illiterate sections. I have often noticed them going to the shop to purchase a cigarette or two at a time. I don't think they buy cigarette packets. So what about them??? I must say that in my opinion, the radio and TV are more effective media to get the "no smoking" message across. What do u think?

No comments: